(1) Inspire an interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects and in STEM careers among young people;
(2) Provide an educational opportunity for students, teachers and the general public to learn about space exploration, space technologies and satellite communications;
(3) Provide an educational opportunity for students, teachers and the general public to learn about wireless technology and radio science through Amateur Radio
(4) Provide an opportunity for Amateur Radio experimentation and evaluation of new technologies.
(5) Provide a contingency communications system for NASA and the ISS crew.
(6) Provide crew with another means to directly interact with a larger community outside the ISS, including friends and family.